Saturday, July 24, 2010

Savvy Savings Saturdays-Teach your children as well!


It's Saturday, which means new sales ads are coming out tomorrow, Yippee! For those of you who don't know, I LOVE shopping with coupons! This is one of my contributions to help ease the grocery budget. I started really coupon shopping going on about
two years ago. You wouldn't believe what you can get for free (although in my state you have to pay tax), or almost free. This is a great way to add more money to your budget! I thought I would share with you what I like to do to prepare for my savvy shopping.

This is also a great learning opportunity for your children. Get them involved! Help your little ones perfect their motor skills by letting them help clip the coupons. The older children can help you sort the coupons into the proper filing section. This also is a great lesson for being savvy with your money. Be sure you let them see that by matching sales with coupons, they can get those items that you would not normally buy at full price. My daughter loves to help me clip coupons, and looks for the blinkie machines in the stores to add coupons to our collection. What a great way to teach our children while they're young to value a dollar, and to make it stretch, and to not be wasteful.

First, I like to visit Taylortown Coupon Preview to see a preview of the coupons that will be coming out in the Sunday paper. I like to buy at least three to four Sunday papers for the coupons. I do this so that if there is a really good sale on something, that has a coupon out to pair with it, I can get more than one. This is called stockpiling. Now, I am a novice compared to most stockpilers whose pantries look more like stores. There are some real pros out there! I find for us that buying 3 or four of the sale item generally lasts us until it goes on sale again, for the exception of a few things. You'll find that there are cycles, and typically items go back on sale again in a couple of months.

Second, I absolutely love checking out erica's site: i heart cvs ! I have added her button below, so feel free to access her site by pushing it anytime. She has great posts showing what items will be free, along with other great deals. Once on her site she also has buttons for i heart rite aid , and i heart wags (which is Walgreens).

Third, while I'm visiting these sites, I make a list of the items I want to get, then pull the coupon and paper clip it to my list. This way I have everything right at my finger tips when I arrive at the store.

This covers my three drugstore shopping lists. My grocery store shopping lists are prepared on another day. I normally check out Publix on Thursday, because in my region this is when their ad breaks through to the following Wednesday. Kroger, Target, and Walmart are usually looked at on Sunday. I check out these four stores at CouponMom . As I look through the sales these stores, I make lists for each of them, and paper clip the coupons like I mention above.

There are so many great things to learn to help you save BIG, and I don't want to overwhelm you with this first post on saving. So, I'm going to stop there for now. In the future, expect to see each of the things I mentioned above featured in their own post, and broken down into further detail.


Please leave comments on what you would like further explanation of! It will help inspire some more posts, and I'll know what you all would like to hear.

Thanks for stopping in, and come back 'ya hear! :)
Happy Shopping!
Jennifer


Do you have a homemaking tip you would like to share? Link to your post here at: Raising Homemakers

No comments:

We Use Coupons